Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Hit A Snag

Hiya guys! Have an update for ya today.

I've been working on the third book in the Swirling Secrets Series, Prae Lium. I've been having so much fun creating the ending to this story! So fun in fact, that I ended up writing the ending.

Why is that a snag? Because the book is 9 chapters...25,000 or so words. My goal was 80,000.

Crap.

It's going to drive me nuts to have one book so much shorter than the rest, so I just can't be finished with it like that.

I also don't want to just add random events and nonsense that doesn't actually fit or add to the story. It's horribly obvious to me when authors do this, and it drives me nuts, so I'd be a bit hypocritical if I did the same thing. Plus, I just don't want to.

So, how do I fix this little snag?


With some cutting and stitching, I think.

See, the first book in the series, Desi Pere, is 43 chapters long. 43!! It's nearly 100,000 words. Ridiculous, right?


Since it was the first book I was going to publish, and kind of my test project, I left it that long, knowing it would be a series.

Knowing, slightly, that this very issue may come up. So really, this is like my back-up plan.


But I digress.

The second book in the series, Sospi Tare, is only 25 chapters. Around 65,000 words or so.

Basically, I could put the second and third books together, and have a shorter length as the first one alone. That is driving me nuts.


I don't really want two long-ass books. I want this to be a trilogy. That's how I set it up, that's how I want it, that's how it's going to be, one way or another.

SO! I'm going to spend the rest of this week cutting up the first two books, and stitching all three together. Hopefully they will even out to all be around the same length.

If not, I'll come up with something else to fix this snag, but for the moment, I'm hoping I can get this win-win to work, because really, the first book is a bit long to begin with, and needs to be cut down a bit.


Wish me luck peeps!!





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!! Please leave your thoughts, or just say hi =D